[HealthLiteracy 1931] Re: HealthLiteracy Digest, Vol 31, Issue 13

MSkewes at ria.buffalo.edu

Mon Apr 21 12:33:09 EDT 2008

Regarding the informed consent question:

I am conducting a study on health literacy among substance abusers in
treatment. I developed an informed consent form using plain language and
am going to be reading it and explaining it to the participants. We are
in the beginning stages of the project and are going to be recruiting
participants within the next 3-4 weeks, so I don't know how well my
informed consent document will go over. I would be happy to share my
experiences once I have a feel for how the consent process is going.
However, I did use very simple language, replacing typical informed
consent terms like "consent to participate" and "minimal risk" with "I say
yes to being in the study" and "I understand that this study is not going
to hurt me and I can quit if I want to." I hope that the plain language,
along with careful explanation and conversation, will suffice. I'd be
interested in knowing how others have handled informed consent documents
in their research.

All the best,
Monica

Monica C. Skewes, Ph.D.