[HealthLiteracy 1847] Re: Wed. Question: referring patients to literacyprograms

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Thu Mar 13 15:43:44 EDT 2008

Yes, it would be good fro health organizations to at least have a referral list of local literacy services. You can start with the Literacy Directory:

http://www.literacydirectory.org/

But, as Jose notes, it is more than having a name on a list. I think having a relationship between a health center and a literacy center, and having a presence in each other's centers is a huge help. I worked for a Neighborhood Health Center years ago that had a close and multifaceted relationship with the local adult basic education center. The health center had a regular stream of educators visiting literacy classes and talking about health issues and access to care. They gave tours of the health center to the students, and even created administrative internships for the students to work in some of the departments and enhance their work skills.

The literacy center allowed the health center to recruit in their classes for participants in free health screening projects and other such opportunities. Each center was so familiar with the other, and there was such a presence, that it demystified the process of cross-referral and made it much more effective.

Any other examples?

Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> "Steinbacher Mikal" <Mikal.Steinbacher at lwtc.edu> 03/12/08 9:55 PM >>>

I'm not from any of those areas, I teach ESL, but I know that most Community colleges have ESL programs that are funded by the State and Federal governments. In the State of Washington, students pay a $25 fee per quarter and some schools require that they pay for the main class text, $25-$30, but those fees/expenses can be waived depending on the student's financial situation.

I would suggest each organization slueth out what's available in their community and create a referral list.

Mikal Steinbacher
Instructor, ABE/ESL/English
Lake Washington Technical College