[HealthLiteracy 1786] Re: Wednesday Question: How health literacyaffects use of the system

Bennett, Ian

Ian.Bennett at uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 21 14:25:58 EST 2008

This report is very interesting and is a great use of the MEPS - thanks again Cindy.

An interesting aspect of health care utilization and literacy for LEP Latinas is that depressive symptomatology in pregnancy is much more likely if literacy in Spanish is low when compared to LEP Latinas with higher Spanish literacy (it's the same for English speaking women when comparing low and higher literacy in English). The issue is that depressive symptomatology is associated with poor care utilization (and adherence generally) potentially by creating unique psychosocial obstacles to care. This then is potentially one way in which low literacy is related to poor care utilization - although that remains to be shown in a research study. Of course these women also need care for their psychological distress.

For anyone interested in this I have a paper identifying this association with depressive symptomatology that reviews the topic more fully.

Bennett IM, Culhane JF, McCollum K F, Mathew L, Elo IT. (2007) "Literacy and

Depressive Symptomatology Among Pregnant Latinas with Limited English Proficiency"

American Journal of Orthopsychiatry Apr Vol 77 (2); 243-248

Ian Bennett