[HealthLiteracy 1772] Re: Seeking training curriculum for family healthcoach

Champ-Blackwell, Siobhan

SiobhanChamp-Blackwell at creighton.edu
Thu Feb 14 10:17:47 EST 2008

I think you want to find a community health advocate training program.
Those are trainings designed for lay people to go out into the community
and provide health promotion and education.
Doing a google search on community health advocate will bring up lots of
resources. Lots of community colleges offer courses and certificates in
this area.

There was a great program in Texas that used a train-the-trainer program
to train promotoras, community outreach workers who are Spanish
speakers. You can find free full text articles online through PubMed:
"MedlinePlus and the challenge of low health literacy: findings from the
Colonias project." http://pubmed.gov/17252064
<http://pubmed.gov/17252064>
" Health information Hispanic outreach in the Texas Lower Rio Grande
Valley." http://pubmed.gov/16636711 <http://pubmed.gov/16636711>
"High school peer tutors teach MedlinePlus: a model for Hispanic
outreach." http://pubmed.gov/15858628

The Regional Medical Library in Texas http://nnlm.gov/scr was very
involved in the Colonias Project and funded pieces of it.

Siobhan

Siobhan Champ-Blackwell, MSLIS
Community Outreach Liaison
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, MidContinental Region
Creighton University Health Sciences Library
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
800-338-7657 in CO,KS,MO,NE,UT,WY
402-280-4156 outside the region