[HealthLiteracy 1765] Re: National translation standards?

AboutDiabetes at aol.com

Tue Feb 12 09:24:37 EST 2008

Hello Janet:

I've been following with interest the many excellent comments you've
received in reply to your question about national translation standards.

The recent note by Aracely Rosales, whose services I have employed, and
recommend, for Spanish-language programs, provides an excellent summary of the
many factors to consider when developing materials in another language.

In addition to what you have learned, some comments on using vendors to
develop projects may be helpful. Based on my experiences in one of my prior lives
as founder and President of Transcultural Communications, a health care
advertising agency specializing in primarily Spanish-language health care
communications, I'd suggest you also consider the following:

1) Always check a vendors references with at least two clients.

2) Ensure the vendor uses American Translation Association (ATA) certified
translators and insist on being given a copy of their credentials (which you
can then verify are current on the ATA Web site).

3) For medical/legal reasons, we insisted all projects have at least one
ATA-certified translator involved in creating the master translation.
Proofreaders and others working on a project may have had other credentials, such as
Certified Court Translator in Spanish to English or English to Spanish, but in
the end all projects were certified in writing as medically accurate and
culturally sensitive by an ATA translator.

4) All "adapted" English to Spanish projects, which is the majority of
projects, were always field tested with patients representative of the major
Hispanic sub-groups in America (Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban).

5) As for translators, you would be incorrect (as I was) if you assumed that
we would automatically insist on using an ATA-certified translator of
Mexican American descent to lead all projects. Although Mexicans and Mexican
Americans constitute the vast majority of Hispanics living in the continental US,
and sensitivity to the Mexican idiom is essential for any good translation, as
in any other field, not all translators are the same. After much trial and
error, we finally selected a chief translator from Puerto Rico, whom I still
have the pleasure of working with in my charity work.

If you need Spanish-language translation work of any kind, I would highly
recommend you contact Ms. Eva Ibarzabel in Puerto Rico at
_ibarzabal_eva at yahoo.com_ (mailto:ibarzabael_eva at yahoo.com) .

As a final comment, please keep the word "adapted" in mind as you try to
respond to the occasional demand that a word or phrase be changed in a
Spanish-language project (and many other languages). Because of regional variations in
word-usage, non-translators often request changes in a document. Often, the
more educated (in general) the person is, the more demanding they can be
about change requests. Unless two translators agree that a proposed change in a
translated document "improves" the intended message, leave it alone! Even
with these precautionary steps, expect not to be loved at times after all your
hard work.

Best of luck.

Paul Tracey
Learning About Diabetes, Inc.