[HealthLiteracy 1760] Re: National translation standards?

MercedesBlanco at maximus.com

Fri Feb 8 14:25:09 EST 2008

Janet: At the Center for Health Literacy, we translate health care related
materials in more than 12 languages. We provide translation in many states
of the US.
The first thing we do is to find out the demographics of each state and we
"adapt" our material according to the target population, and the literacy
level that's bets for our audience.
For example, and this is an obvious example, in California we use a
Mexican translator that is also a writer in his native language and has a
strong knowledge of health care. You can see our translations in
California Healthy Families website.

Please feel free to call me if you need more information. I will try to
find one of the articles I wrote in the Managed Care magazine for you.

Mercedes Blanco
Center for Health Literacy
Director

Phone: 401-254-8949
Cell: 774-451-4178
Fax: 703-251-8240
www.maximus.com/chl

"Schneider, Janet M." <Janet.Schneider at va.gov>
Sent by: healthliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov
02/07/2008 03:23 PM
Please respond to
The Health and Literacy Discussion List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>

<healthliteracy at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[HealthLiteracy 1755] National translation standards?

Do any of you know if there are national translation standards for
consumer health materials? We are looking for any kind of translation
standards that can be applied to different languages, similar to the
?generic? English that news broadcasters use rather than dialects. For
example, is there a ?generic? Spanish that everybody can understand,
rather than Mexican Spanish, Puerto Rican Spanish, European Spanish, etc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Janet M. Schneider, M.A., AHIP
Chief, Library Service
James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital