[HealthLiteracy 1679] Re: Wednesday Question: Health Literacy and Marketing

Davies, Nicola

NDavies at dthr.ab.ca
Fri Jan 18 11:00:40 EST 2008

Andrew, you just reminded me of a worrying TV interview I saw a few years ago. In it, a doctor was talking about his concern that people were confusing the term "cancer treatment" with "cancer cure". Of course, there is a huge difference between these terms. The doctor went on to say that Big Pharma was more interested in looking at cancer treatments that don't make the cancer go away, rather they control it (stop growth, inhibit metastasis, etc.) because there is more money in the "come back"; people who require a cure only need your services once. People who need a constant supply of something will come back again and again. Of course, it is natural to assume that everyone out there wants a cure...and this natural assumption is automatically applied to Big Pharma, who, with their fancy advertising, project as human an image as possible. (We have all seen that commercial where the pharmaceutical researcher tells us why he became a researcher, and shows a clip of his wheelchair-bound daughter doing her homework.)

So, I suppose another similar question would be "how is HL used in advertising, and to what end?"