[HealthLiteracy 1666] Re: Wednesday Question: Health Literacy andMarketing

Bonnie Anton

bba at nauticom.net
Thu Jan 17 10:49:08 EST 2008

I agree this is a great start on the part of pharmacies. I hope the
explanations are not just verbal, but written (with appropriate health
literacy principles in mind). In writing, the explanations can be reviewed
at a later date as well as shared with family members who might question the
purposes of the medications.

Another issue, to me this could be looked upon as an example of direct
consumer advertising. It would get you into the store and give you a $10.00
gift certificate to spend on their products. Hopefully you are a Rite Aid
pharmacy customer and not just on a mass mailing list of consumers who take
prescribed medications.

My apologies for looking "below the surface" for the advertising
opportunities that can be used on consumers.

Bonnie B. Anton RN MN

Patient Educator

UPMC Presbyterian Hospital

bba at nauticom.net