[HealthLiteracy 2564] Re: Back to the definition...

christina

zarcac01 at imail.mssm.edu
Fri Dec 5 11:19:25 EST 2008

Julie, Andrew,
To the discussion of provider/institution inadequate health literacy:

Many physicians and nurses and even hospital administrators readily
admit they have a kind of "low health literacy." And here's one
way I hear this:

Over the last two years I've been working with a team of talented
people at the NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene to infuse health
literacy principles into their Medical Detailing Kits. The Public
Health Detailing Program works with primary health care providers to
improve patient care around key public health challenges. The
Detailing Kits contain clinical tools, resources for providers and
patient education materials to promote evidence-based best practices.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/csi/csi-obesity.shtml

One of the goals of the kits is to advance the health literacy of
providers and patients.

As part of each kits development my team conducts broad ethnographic
health literacy investigations - interviews countless providers and
experts, as well as talking to consumers/patients about the topic at
hand.
The most recent kits - Adult Obesity - Intimate Partner Violence -
demonstrated aspects of inadequate provider health literacy
-something they readily discuss:

Here are some examples:

Providers report that they don't have effective verbal skills to
communicate importance of weight loss to their obese patients - "I've
simply run out of words." (Fundamental/Verbal Literacy)

They often don't know how to translate complex science into
relevant action that they can take to educate their. "All I can do
at this point is treat her diabetes, and I'm not doing that very
well." (Science literacy)

They lack confidence in their ability as physicians to be
effective in talking to their patients about nutrition - " I wasn't
trained in this. I don't know much about it."(Cultural Literacy)

They know how to work with numbers but they are stymied by some of
the epi data relative to on-the-ground realities of what they see
with their patients. (Numeracy/Fundamental Literacy)

They have a hard time judging some of the contradictory
scientific evidence - "I'm not convinced that collecting BMI on the
kids is going to do much. Is anyone?" (Science Literacy)

They haven't found ways to compensate ( and they don't' think
they will) for an inadequate health care system. "Educating the
patient and really making a difference takes more time than my
practice would ever have. (Civic Literacy)

So, just what part of this isn't low health literacy?

Chris

--
Christina Zarcadoolas, PhD.
Assistant Professor