[HealthLiteracy 1866] Re: Wednesday Question: Coalitions Challenges andBenefits

Elyse Barbell

elyse at lacnyc.org
Wed Mar 26 09:35:43 EDT 2008

The Literacy Assistance Center has built a very comprehensive health
literacy coalition. We are engaged in helping other coalitions around
the country start or improve similar initiatives. The biggest thing you
need is patience. We spent two years talking to closed doors and manning
lots of tables at health fairs until our partnership concept finally got
some traction. Some quick starting things to think about are to assess
what your coalition has to offer. Be very clear about the role you can
play with potential partners. Can you offer any training? Do you have
literacy providers lined up to work with health centers? Do you have the
manpower to spend the necessary time in the field? Another very
important factor - who are your champions? Have you identified someone
in the health community who might be willing to make introductions and
support your initiative? Finally, you must think about your resources.
How are you going to finance this?
For more info on LAC's health literacy initiative you can go to
http://lacnyc.org/profdev/healthlit/
Or feel free to email me directly at elyse at lacnyc.org. Good luck.

Elyse Barbell
Executive Director