[HealthLiteracy 1712] Re: Request for informationon collaborations between Adult Ed and Medical providers

Sabrina Kurtz-Rossi

sabrina_kurtz-rossi at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 15:30:37 EST 2008

Ian,

Here is an example of a literacy and health collaboration you might be
interested in. The New Hampshire Tobacco Control Program and Bureau of
Adult Education collaborated on a project to bring information about smoking
to young adults in ABE and GED programs. As a consultant on the project, I
worked with adult education teachers and learners in New Hampshire to create
and then pilot tested a series of lessons designed to develop core literacy
skills and convey information about the health effects of tobacco use. The
lessons focused on math, language arts, and computer research skills and
delivered information relevant to both smokers and nonsmokers. Evaluation
data from the pilot showed significant gains in understanding of secondhand
smoke health effects, and in knowledge of local smoking cessation programs
among participants; the pilot program was also very well received by both
teachers and learners. Project partners believe that integrating literacy
and tobacco education represents a highly targeted and replicable strategy
for providing individual and community education around the hazards of
smoking and how to get quit-smoking help. For more information about the
project or copies of the lessons, contact Martha Bradley, Community Health
Institute, Bow, NH at 603-573-3318 or email her at mbradley at jsi.com.

Sabrina
Sabrina Kurtz-Rossi, M.Ed., Health Literacy Consultant
Coordinator, Health Information Literacy Research Project,
Medical Library Association
Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Tufts University School of Medicine
781-835-6488 phone; 781-391-4409 fax;
sabrina_kurtz-rossi at comcast.net