[NIFL-ESL:11161] WE LEARN Call for Presenters

From: mev@litwomen.org
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 07:59:06 EDT

Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 07:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "mev@litwomen.org" <mev@litwomen.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11161] WE LEARN Call for Presenters

CALL FOR PRESENTERS

3rd Annual (Net)Working Conference on Women & Literacy - Moving to
Power & Participation

Sponsored by:
WE LEARN / Women Expanding—Literacy Education Action Resource Network

Co-Sponsored by Yale University Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Program and literacytent.org

March 10 - 11, 2006
Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut

Proposals for presentations are invited from learners, teachers,
tutors, administrators, professional developers, researchers,
activists, and policymakers in ABE, GED, ESOL, Family literacy, Health
literacy, Citizenship, Prison literacy, Workplace literacy and other
alternative educational programs that serve women in adult literacy/
basic education.
The conference seeks Interactive Workshops, Demonstrations, Performance
Theater & Creative Art, Poster Sessions, Panels, Roundtables, Papers,
and Readings
on Promising Practices and Issues like:
--Effects of current U.S. policy issues: Welfare reform or Immigration
reform, Patriot Act & National
Security, War on Terrorism, Hurricane Recovery, etc.
--Economic literacy and/or women’s leadership development
--Community and Family Violence
--Spirituality / Personal development & Reflection
--Health/Wellness, and/or the Environment
--Parenting and family issues
--Civic engagement and social action / Popular education and
participatory learning approaches
--Effects of Sexuality and/or Relationships on women's education
--Effects of social oppression on women (race, ethnicity, gender,
social class, sexuality, age, ability)
--Math (Numeracy), Science, and/or Technology
--Writing and the Arts in women’s basic education
--Literacy and Literacies in the world
Proposals will be selected based on their relevance to women's issues
in adult basic literacy/education, and reflection of the theme of the
conference. We are especially interested in presentations that
recognize or address how adult basic literacies/education supports and
moves women to fuller personal and political power and
socioeconomic/civic participation.

Guidelines for Submission:
1.	If selected, the presenter(s) agree to register for the conference
and provide handouts to participants.
2.	Send a copy of the following by December 2, 2005:
--Proposal Form
--Abstract of Presentation (maximum of 150 words) that describes goals
and/or learning objectives,
content, and how audience will participate.

EMAIL or MAIL proposals to:
Mev Miller, Ed.D., WE LEARN, 182 Riverside Ave, Cranston, RI  02910.
EMAIL: welearn@litwomen.org
DEADLINE: December 2, 2005
3rd Annual (Net)Working Conference on Women & Literacy

PROPOSAL FORM Application

Contact Name:

Institution/Organization:

Street Address:

City, State, Zip:

Phone: 	  Fax:

Email:

Website:

__ I am currently a member of WE LEARN.
__ Please send me information on becoming a member of WE LEARN.

Names of all Presenters and their Affiliations:

Title of Presentation:

Bio of Presenters (30 words maximum) – use additional sheet if necessary

All sessions will be 1.5 hours in length.
We will have a very limited number of double sessions (3 hours with 15
minute break) available.

  ___ no time preference   ___Single session    ____Double session

Format of Presentation - 1.5 hour (check one):
___	Interactive Workshop	___	Panel Discussion
___ 	Roundtable Discussion	___	Demonstration
___	Art, Reading	___	Poster Session

Intended Audience :
	___ Learners	___Teachers	___ Administrators	___ Academics	 ___All

Audio/Visual requirements – Please be very specific (newsprint and
markers will be provided):

***NOTE***: Presenters who would like to use Power Point or Internet or
other computer-based technology are STRONGLY encouraged to bring their
own Laptop (and LCD if possible).

Other Special needs:

30 word Summary  (to be included in program) - use additional sheet if
necessary

150 Word Abstract - use additional sheet if necessary

EMAIL or MAIL proposals to:
Mev Miller, Ed.D., WE LEARN, 182 Riverside Ave, Cranston, RI  02910
EMAIL: welearn@litwomen.org

DEADLINE:	 December 2, 2005

More detailed information will be posted on our website soon:
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Director
182 Riverside Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910