[NIFL-ESL:11044] SEEKING INFORMATION ABOUT CARIBBEAN STUDENTS IN USA

From: JUDITH SINCLAIR (j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 07:37:41 EDT

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:37:41 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "JUDITH SINCLAIR" <j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11044] SEEKING INFORMATION ABOUT CARIBBEAN STUDENTS IN USA

Hello:

We are attempting to gather information on the below-noted topic, so if we
have not already heard from you, please contact us.

As part of our work we look at various cultures that are relatively/new to
America to determine how to best address their educational needs.  We are
currently looking for professional materials, papers, personal narratives,
journal articles and the like that discuss challenges students from the
Caribbean islands face when they come to the United States to attend school
or
obtain work.

As background, it is our professional experience working with Caribbean
students that they consider English as  their first language.  The assure us
that they are first and foremost English speaking, and that they are
neither ESL or bilingual.  Yet, it is also our experience that many of these
students face significant challenges when they are presented with standard
tests for professional and school work.  At this time, to assist these
students, we are looking for more information regarding Caribbean students
who consider English as their first language, and their ability to take
professional and school tests.  For example, are they compromised in reading
comprehension tests?  Do they do well in their writing sample tests?  If so,
why?  If not, why?

We hope to apply new information to our new research project.  We are
interested in a variety of perspectives, and appreciate your response.

If anyone has information regarding this topic, and most particularly
published material, and has not already contacted us, please let us know.

Thank you.

Dr. Judith Sinclair
Cognitive Psychologist in Education and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
Sinclair & Associates International, LLC
Main Office: Washington, DC