[NIFL-ESL:10985] RE: a "model" ESL program - input?

From: Gustav Kocsis (gkocsis@sfccnm.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 18:53:02 EDT

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:53:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Gustav Kocsis" <gkocsis@sfccnm.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10985] RE: a "model" ESL program - input?

Paul:
I have been involved with an ESL lab as well as regular classes. Your idea sounds very good and feasible.
For software, I would suggest the "Rosetta Stone" which is very good for lower level students.
If you select any textbook/workbook, I suggest the Side By Side series since they have some excellent software that goes along with the texts. Also they have excellent videos. The students as well as the instructors have been very happy with this series.
I would not go with "Ingles sin Barreras", I would rate it very, very low on my desirability scale. If you are looking for videos there are some that are much better and have great books to go with them. There is "Crossroads Café", "Madison Heights" and "Life Lines".
I found that listening stations were under used since one needs workbooks that tie in well with the audio CDs.
A note of caution, you will find many people trying to sell you stuff and much of it leaves a lot to be desired. Each time I have to select some new material, I ask that they send me a complete set, not the demo, and I put students on it and see. I hope that this will be helpful.

Gustav A. Kocsis
English as a Second Language Coordinator
Adult Basic Education
Santa Fe Community College
6401 Richards Ave
Santa Fe, NM 87508