[NIFL-ESL:10774] Literacy materials in Somali Bantu camp classrooms

From: Sharyl Tanck (Sharyl@cal.org)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 15:35:32 EST

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:35:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sharyl Tanck" <Sharyl@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10774] Literacy materials in Somali Bantu camp classrooms

Dear NIFL list:

I emailed my colleague in Kenya re: literacy materials used by the
Somali Bantu in Kakuma Refugee Camp. (The Welcome video that she
mentions is the State Department funded video produced by my office for
U.S.-bound refugees. It can be ordered at calstore.cal.org.)

Her response is below:

"These were literacy materials that IRC used, however the video is the
Welcome Guide video, as there were no videos used for literacy purposes.
The books were: Literacy Plus. Language, Lifeskills, Civics. (for
preliterate adults) by Joan Saslow, and the publisher is Longman. I
first learned about this series at TESOL and managed to get a number of
free copies from them which were subsequently used (worksheets copied)
by the IRC literacy instructors. I think they are an excellent tool.
Hope this is helpful."

Also please note that if you are a teacher who works directly with
refugees, you can join our listserv, Refugee Discussion, an electronic
forum for refugee service providers in the U.S. and abroad. You can
email me directly at sharyl@cal.org; please include your name, email
address, school or organization, and mailing address.

Best wishes,
Shari

Sharyl Tanck
Program Coordinator