[NIFL-ESL:10955] using pumarosa.com

From: PAUL ROGERS (pwaynerogers@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 13:41:26 EDT

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:41:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: PAUL ROGERS <pwaynerogers@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10955] using pumarosa.com

Although it may seem like a shameless plug, below is a
review of how to use pumarosa.com in the class.
Paul Rogers

Dear Paul:
     How I use Pumarosa: For new students I often set
them up on the site individually. I will steer them to
the page that corresponds with the grammar lesson that
we are currently studying. For really NEW students,
whose English skills are almost nil, I begin on the
"greetings," "alphabet," and very first pages of your
great site. This helps them "catch up"
somewhat with the rest of the class, who usually
covered that material in August or September when
classes first began here.
     I trained another teacher to help me in January,
and I pointed her to your site as well. She claims
great benefits when used in this manner also.
    The more seasoned students come in, often early,
just so they can use the computers for a while. They
know the link I've placed on the desktop, and they
open it themselves with no problem. Then they go to
the material that they want to cover themselves. You
would be so inspired to see my students with their
notebooks, quickly copying down all the stuff you've
included!
    In my opinion, your site is far and away the best
among those other sites that I've found for native
Spanish speakers, and there are many. I will tell you
why: You can listen to the audio directly on the site!
You don't have to wait for Real Player or Windows
Media Player to open (and probably obliterate your
screen and confuses the heck out of my students).
That's its beauty. I will tell you that my students
sometimes use OM Personal, but yours is so much more
"user-friendly" that they seem to prefer it.