[NIFL-ESL:11093] RE: bilingual adult ESL status?

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 16:43:41 EDT

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:43:41 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11093] RE: bilingual adult ESL status?

Next week, the Texas Workforce Commission will be hosting a workforce forum
on services to adults with limited English proficiency.  Handouts will be
posted to the agency¹s web site after the forum, but look for a set of
handouts on ³Bilingual Preferred² (www.twc.state.tx.us/upcoming events).

Dr. Calderon was affiliated with Johns Hopkins University and has published
a curriculum for teachers in teaching English with native language support.
I don¹t believe the curriculum is posted publicly, but it was developed
under a grant from the Dallas Regional Office of the Employment and Training
Administration (DOL).

Finally, NABE has state level affiliates: if you were in Texas, you¹d link
to www.tabe.org. TABE is a very large organization, as one might well
imagine.

Good luck on your search for resources.

Thanks, Varshna.