[NIFL-ESL:11016] RE: Lesson plans

From: Glenda Rose (glenda@english-now.us)
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 15:20:12 EDT

Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:20:12 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Glenda Rose <glenda@english-now.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11016] RE: Lesson plans

Because I run a program with a "running schedule" -
students can come in and out as they please all day -
I very seldom have a written lesson plan.  However, I
know the material inside and out and tailor each
student's "lesson" when I see what they are having
trouble with.    I think a teacher must know the
material inside and out, but also must be flexible.
Even when I was teaching traditional classes and wrote
lesson plans, they very seldom went off the way I
planned. When teaching adults there are so many
variables - acculturative stress issues, differences
in literacy levels that make some students frustrated
at how slow we are going and others frustrated that we
are going to quickly.   I actually think that we have
improved the quality of our teaching because we
conform our methods and "plans" to a particular
student's needs on a particular day.   However, I
agree that when teaching large groups, a written
lesson plan - even if not followed to the letter - is
a great tool for making sure you cover everything you
intend to.  I think the problem arises when adhering
to the lesson plan becomes more important than the
students' ability to assimilate the information.

Glenda L. Rose, Director
English Now, Austin, TX
www.english-now.us