[NIFL-ESL:11011] Hmong (pre-literate adult) Students article now available on ALE Wiki

From: David Rosen (djrosen@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 09:49:57 EDT

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:49:57 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: David Rosen <djrosen@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11011] Hmong (pre-literate adult) Students article now available on ALE Wiki

NIFL-ESL Colleagues,

Colleen Shaughnessy wrote here:

     From: cashaughn@yahoo.com Date: Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:51 PM
     Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10950] Research Help - 2nd Lang Literacy to
pre-literateAdults

     I am working on a TESOL Master's thesis and having trouble
finding relevant recent studies.

     My topic has emerged from my work with a group of Somali Bantu
refugees. I have been teaching them literacy for a few months now. I
am looking to create a
      curriculum based on best practices and my own experiences.

     Is anyone aware of studies done after 1996 (2000s are even
better!) that consider the teaching of second language literacy to
pre-literate adults?

Helaine Marshall,  Director of TESOL Programs at the Westchester
Graduate Campus of Long Island University replied that her research
on the Hmong adult learner might be of help. Her article, published
in Cultural Circles, Volume 3, 1998, A Mutually Adaptive Learning
Paradigm (MALP) for Hmong Students, is now available in its entirety
at the Adult Literacy Education Wiki.  Many thanks to Helaine for
making this possible.

     http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/AleESOLWholeDiscussion

         http://wiki.literacytent.org/images/malp_paper_marshall.pdf

David J. Rosen