[NIFL-ESL:10990] Re: Lesson Planning for a "model" ESL program - input?

From: David Rosen (djrosen@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 12:23:04 EDT

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:23:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: David Rosen <djrosen@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10990] Re: Lesson Planning for a "model" ESL program - input?

Hello Sandra and others who have this question: "What do you consider
to be the 'model' ESL-specific lesson plan format?"

A new -- and possibly very useful -- tool which addresses the need
you have described is Lesson Plan Builder

     http://www.adultedlessons.org/login.cfm?fuseaction=login

It's a free, online template where a teacher can create lesson plans
and save them.  The lesson plans  can be done a piece at a time,
saving (and returning to) the parts that are done. They follow a
tried-and-true format (Madeline Hunter/WIPPIE). They have adult
education (including ESL/ESOL) competencies referenced within it
(such as CASAS, and SCANS, with others to be added ) and it
conveniently links with a (free) online rubrics builder.  The
completed lesson plans can be saved to one's own computer (or a
program's server for all teachers there to use) and, within a few
months or, so they will be able to be saved to a user-accessible,
searchable online database of lesson plans.  This has been developed
(and will be improved) by OTAN in California.  I saw it demonstrated
at COABE this year, and think it is potentially very useful to adult
ESL/ESOL teachers and others.

What do you - and others here -- think of it?

David J. Rosen