[NIFL-ESL:10903] RE: Evaluating low literacy/multilingual populat

From: Melvin Dr. Clark (drclark@southtexascollege.edu)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 21:15:34 EDT

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:15:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Melvin Dr. Clark" <drclark@southtexascollege.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10903] RE: Evaluating low literacy/multilingual populat

Kristin: Your query picqued my interest as I also work with a foreign pop.
with similar literacy levels. Obviously you have researched the Internet
first. Other than that, I don't see why standard English language, used at
the level (or lack thereof) of the students would be any different, using
culturally-sensitive vocab of course, than any other type(s) of pop. Dealing
with health issues is often not as "touchy" amongst world pops as it is here
in USA and Europe so I really  think we could find lots of "common ground"
with which to work. All the best. Dr. Melvin Clark/Texas-Mexico border
drclark@southtexascollege.edu