[NIFL-ESL:10842] Re: Language Exchanges with Skype

From: David J. Rosen (djrosen@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 12:15:14 EDT

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "David J. Rosen" <djrosen@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10842] Re: Language Exchanges with Skype

Flannery and others,

I think Todd has a great idea.  I have used Skype to make (free)
computer-to-computer phone calls  and for about 2 cents/minute computer
to land line or cell phone calls from Asia to the U.S.  I have found the
sound quality is good and the service reliable.  It's a good idea to buy
a headset -- earphones and mic -- with a sound control on the wire -- it
costs about $20.00 -- some are "Skype approved."

The expense is minimal -- especially for students who make calls
overseas -- they can also use Skype  at some "Internet Cafe's" or other
public access spots -- for free/cheap phone calls to family or friends.

This is a relatively easy to use technology that many students would be
interested in using for many purposes. Todd's suggestion is innovative
and appealing.

David J. Rosen
djrosen@theworld.com