[NIFL-ESL:10663] RE: speaking exercises

From: Dottie (dottie@shattuck.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 16:48:52 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:48:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dottie" <dottie@shattuck.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10663] RE: speaking exercises

Lynne -- I use a similar approach w/my Beginners.  Presently, all are L1
Spanish speakers, but I've used it w/multiple language classes.

I copy ALL reading exercises (& most other lessons) onto over-head
transparencies; the students each have a copy too.  First, I read the story
("Very Easy True Stories", teacher-written material, or others); then we
read the material together.  I then ask "what words do you not understand
the meaning or the pronunciation?"  We address the "problems" they ID.  We
read again, together.  Next, I ask for volunteers to read parts.  As this
happens, I usually hear the students (softly) correcting the reader.  After
the complete piece is read, I go-over the pronunciation "problems" I (& the
others) have noted.  We follow this process once or twice more (as needed).
Finally, several students volunteer to read the entire passage & we address
any pronunciation still an issue.

I also note any words that are minimal pairs ("very similar") w/other vocab.
words we've had -- give/five; men/man; short/shirt; etc.  The students often
also ask about a "new" word & another word with which they have the new one
confused.

Dottie Shattuck
Tri-District Adult Edu.
York County, SC