[NIFL-ESL:10779] RE: Teaching Somali speakers to read and write in their own language

From: dlmsmith (dlmsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 11:54:51 EST

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:54:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "dlmsmith" <dlmsmith@sbcglobal.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10779] RE: Teaching Somali speakers to read and write in their own language

As far as instructional materials go, I had good luck getting literacy
materials in the Moru language of Southern Sudan from SIL. It took a little
digging online to find the right person to ask, but eventually a staffer
posted to Entebbe mailed them to me when she was visiting the U.S. Something
similar is likely to be possible with Somali.

If you just want texts to work with, there are Somali-English books for sale
at www.asiaforkids.com . Lots of them are children's picture books, which
might be problematic if you're working on adult literacy, but there are also
picture dictionaries. The Oxford Picture Dictionary is available in
Somali/English from www.amazon.com along with other materials in and on
Somali.

Debra Smith