[NIFL-ESL:11057] Note of Appreciation

From: JUDITH SINCLAIR (j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 10:49:19 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:49:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "JUDITH SINCLAIR" <j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11057] Note of Appreciation

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

Please know that we are very appreciative of the many informative responses
we have received in the last few days regarding language and Caribbean
students' success in work and school in the United States, and we thank
everyone who took time to reply.  It has been very interesting to review how
various respondents framed our query.  All replies are worthy and helpful.

In our opinion, this is a critical issue in American education; one that
deserves continued interest and support.  However, according to what we have
seen in many multicultural, linguistic, and/or multisocial studies, it is
often miscategorized or undervalued as a factor in this population's career
and academic success.  In our opinion, some of this misunderstanding may
spring from the often-tempered relationship between theory and practice, a
synaptic process with well-documented risks.  Other misunderstandings might
reside within the tension between current behaviorist, cognitive, and
constructivist concepts of language and "linguistics," as they emerge from
earlier Watson vs. Chomsky "manifestos."  And, there are other factors, as
well.

Yet, overall, and certainly with respect to the many fine responses we
received from you, it seems to us that we are gaining ground in our
understanding of how to appreciate and treat often-frustrated insular and
continental Caribbean students.  It is our idea that the interest and
knowledge gained in the last 100 or so years about both insular and
continental Caribbean language and linguistics in America as it relates to
students' success in school and in work will continue to grow in import as
we look toward our new society, and the challenges it provides to American
education.  And, realizing that this interest is not particular to our own
country, the new perspectives we American educators forge will hopefully
serve the wider, universal interest in this subject.

Thank you again, friends and colleagues, and please know that we look
forward to our continued participation in the NIFL community's exchange.

Sincerely,

Judith Peyton Sinclair, Ph.D.
Cognitive Psychologist in Education and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
Executive Director
Sinclair & Associates International, LLC
Main Office: Washington, DC