[NIFL-ESL:11036] PS to Search for support materials

From: JUDITH SINCLAIR (j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 16:41:25 EDT

Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:41:25 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "JUDITH SINCLAIR" <j-p-sinclair@worldnet.att.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11036] PS to Search for support materials

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to read our message.  We have had
several interesting responses, and a few good questions.  We would like to
provide additional information to our request for information regarding
Caribbean students' literacy progress in U. S. jobs and schools: It is our
experience working with Caribbean students that they consider English as
their first language.  The assure us that they are first and foremost
English speaking, and that they are  neither ESL or bilingual.  Yet, it is
also our experience that many of these students face significant challenges
when they are presented with standard tests for professional and school
work.  We are looking for more information regarding Caribbean students who
consider English as their first language, and their ability to take
professional and school tests.  For example, are they compromised in reading
comprehension tests?  Do they do well in their writing sample tests?  If so,
why?  If not, why?  We are interested in a variety of perspectives, and
appreciate your response.

Thank you again.

Dr. Judith Sinclair
Sinclair & Associates International, LLC
Main Office: Washington, DC