[NIFL-ESL:10901] Re: Help needed recruiting students for ESL

From: Tracy VonMaluski (TracyVM@epcc.edu)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 16:41:21 EDT

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tracy VonMaluski" <TracyVM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10901] Re: Help needed recruiting students for ESL

Very good strategies, but also suggest you try to find out why
enrollment is down.
Are students under the impression that they must be citizens or legal
residents in order to attend?  Do they have to be?  What is the "word"
out in the community regarding this?  Do they have to have a Social
Security # to enroll in your program, or can your program just assign
them a student #?  If there is perhaps wrong information out in the
community, how can you get the correct information out so students will
come to you?  So many factors for us to deal with....

Tracy vonMaluski
El Paso Comm. College

>>> mhefner@cccti.edu 5/30/2005 5:25:17 PM >>>
I work in the Basic Skills Department at a rural community college in
North Carolina.  We offer a variety of ESL classes both on and off
campus, but we are having difficulty with retention of currently
enrolled ESL students and are also finding that our enrollments of new
ESL students are down.  Our ESL population is predominantly Hispanic
although we do have some Asian and Eastern European students.  Can
anyone share with us any retention and/or recruitment strategies that
have proven especially effective? Has anyone had any success with
holding open houses or family nights?

Thanks for all your help.

Melinda Hefner