[NIFL-ESL:10870] Re: finishing Americorps, year of teaching

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 12:57:30 EDT

Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 12:57:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10870] Re: finishing Americorps, year of teaching

San Antonio, Texas, seems to have received a number of Bantu refugees. A
good starting point is the US Department of Health and Human Services,
Administration of Children and Families website:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/orr/index.htm

Another good website is the Department of State which has the primary
responsibility, I believe, to resettle refugees.

http://www.state.gov/g/prm/

It's a good website to begin developing your understanding of the
national/state relationship and to do some research on where specific
populations are being resettled.  In Texas, you may want start with the
following link:

http://www.dhs.state.tx.us/programs/refugee/overview.html

The Office of Immigration and Refugee Affairs may be able to tell you which
volunteer agencies are operating in the state, the number of placements each
organization has, and how you would contact them.

Your career and personal goals are commendable. Good luck.

Varshna Jackson
Austin, TX