[NIFL-ESL:10787] Leadership/Support groups for ESL learners

From: Josh Kildall (kildalljt@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 01:32:46 EST

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:32:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Josh Kildall" <kildalljt@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10787] Leadership/Support groups for ESL learners

Hi,
I have been working as a volunteer with an immigrant program that offers
support groups for Latin American women in Spanish. These groups serve to
teach their participants about their rights, and resources available to
them, but they also teach the participants how to speak for themselves, and
their communities. From what I have seen and heard, these groups have been
quite successful at building its participants' self-esteems. Do any of you
have similar programs? Have they been successful? Any pit falls? I think
these groups are particularly successful because they are offered in the
participants' native language. Has anyone tried this in English ( learners'
second language)?
Thanks for any input,
Josh