[NIFL-ESL:10766] Seeking guidance: how to obtain objective evaluation of a new pronunciation training program

From: Brad Mjolsness (brad@phonemenon.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 05:02:48 EST

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:02:48 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Brad Mjolsness" <brad@phonemenon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10766] Seeking guidance: how to obtain objective evaluation of a new pronunciation training program

Hello;

I'm an American EFL foot soldier who's developed a pronunciation training
program that I believe is an important innovation.  Its optimal application
is probably in ESL contexts.  I'm requesting guidance in having it
objectively evaluated.  I am naive in these matters and I have these
questions:

What offices and institutions would be interested enough to want to have the
program evaluated?

How would I contact these people?

Would these people accept an inquiry from an uncredentialed practitioner?

What evidence of success would they require?

Is there funding available for field testing or other evaluative processes?

I have training progress videos at www.phonemenon.net.  Kenneth Beare, host
of the About.com ESL Guide, viewed the videos and responded: "The results
you've achieved are very interesting indeed...it looks like you've made a
real breakthrough."  I am currently video-documenting 8 Chinese students who
will finish in June.  I am confident they will be among only 11 untraveled
native Chinese in the world who reflexively pronounce accurate English.  The
other three are my former trainees.

If you can provide any guidance in pursuing objective evaluation of this
training program, I will be very grateful.

Thank you,

Brad Mjolsness
Nanchang, PRC