[NIFL-ESL:10720] Re: Field trips with large classes

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 14:19:09 EST

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:19:09 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10720] Re: Field trips with large classes

Several summers ago I took a busload of about 50 adult ESL students on a
weekend trip from NYC to  Boston.   Students spent weeks preparing: selling
raffles to offset the cost of the bus, hostel, meals, etc., as well as
reading up on the plethora of sites to visit and writing about their
upcoming trip.

Beforehand, students divided up according to interests (i.e. art, science,
history) and visited places thematically.  On the way up, they watched "Good
Will Hunting" w/closed captions.  They spent time journaling while there,
navigating the subway, restaurants, the hostel and the museums.  Each group
had an instructor to accompany them, as none of the students had ever had an
opportunity to visit Boston before.  Upon returning to NY, students wrote
about their adventure.

Some colleagues thought of this as a daunting task, but the students really
did all the work and got quite a lot out of it.

Have Fun~!
Laurie

P.S.  If anyone's interested in a 20 minute video documenting this trip,
contact me off list and I'll get a copy to you.