[NIFL-ESL:10709] Re: Field trips with large classes

From: Marti, Norma (nam@rti.org)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 09:26:33 EST

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:26:33 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Marti, Norma" <nam@rti.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10709] Re: Field trips with large classes

I've taken my "higher level" ESL classes whenever the NC Museum of Art or the IMAX theater have had a special exhibit/film.  The largest group was about 12 students; but I've had some as small as 5.  We do a lot of classroom work on vocabulary related to the works/movie we'll be viewing.  I then give them two or three mini-lessons before going about the country/history/painter/film included in these lessons are reading maps and writing directions for getting to the museum. You can always incorporate your required curriculum framework in these lessons--that is, grammar, sentence structure, etc.  The "in museum assignment" is to "find this painting" or "this artist" or if an IMAX movie, a particular point about the geography/history of the story.  I may create a "scavenger" list for them to find.  Regardless, they must describe what they liked or disliked.  I agree the docents are wonderful; what we do is meet afterwards (sit on the floor in a quiet gallery/spot) and verbally "share/discuss" the "likes/dislikes" helping each other with words and vocabulary.  Amazing stories are shared!  A lot of "how do you say" or "in my country" can be heard. Those that want to continue the dialogue (after 30 minutes) meet at the local "coffee house"-- dutch-treat.

Subsequently, they write a paragraph for the next class which, after my giving individual feedback and their doing a second re-write, I compile and create a "class catalogue" of the exhibit or "class review" of the movie (I've done a mini-lesson on reading a few current movie reviews from the newspaper, too!)

What I find is that they speak more English with each other across the cultures; they are fascinated with the activity.  They see/hear other Americans around them.  They love it!  As immigrant adults who seldom do anything but work and live around their own people, many never have the opportunity to just "be around Americans."  That's the part they love the most!  And in the restaurant/coffee house, it's nice for them to be on the "customer" side--being served--when many work (or have worked) in the "unseen" positions of kitchen, cleaning, clearing tables.

Hope this helps,
Norma Martí
marti_n@bellsouth.net
Wake Tech Community College