[EnglishLanguage 4760] Re: critical thinking

Andrea Wilder

andreawilder at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 21:37:33 EDT 2009

My Asian students--Thai, Japanese, Chinese, all say they learned by
rote in school. Any comments on this? All of them certainly knew
how to study,
impressive. The Japanese student, who became a teacher, bubbled
over with creativity OUTSIDE the classroom, particularly in American
Jazz,

Anecdotally, she tells me she found a wonderful teaching mentor in
Japan and is very happy with herself and with her own students. She
and other students who did poorly in school were publicly slapped for
poor grades. She learned to get good grades.

Andrea