[EnglishLanguage 4732] Re: adult esl approaches and critical thinking

Michael A. Gyori

mgyori at mauilanguage.com
Sun Aug 2 15:26:23 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

When I refer to critical thinking, I'm thinking along the lines of a
continuum ranging from lower-order to higher-order thinking skills. It's
based on Bloom's Taxonomy and subsequent variations thereof, and really can
cross all three instructional domains that Terry mentions below. One
website I found that lays this out pretty well, in my opinion, is at
http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Bloom%27s_Taxonomy#creatin
g.

The ability to think critically, as I understand it, is not dependent upon
any level of reading and writing literacy, nor significantly linked to L1 or
L2. It actually resides more in Cummins' notion of a Common Underlying
Proficiency (CUP).

That's why, to make a useful distinction, I'd rather describe Terri's and
others' use of the terms "critical thinking" as "critical pedagogy," which
does appear to relate to socioeconomic status, power, and literacy, although
not absolutely so by any means, as Terri herself indicates in her
description of the "second base" below.

Michael

world10

Michael A. Gyori, M.A. TESOL