[EnglishLanguage 4723] Re: Approaches that are effective in second language (vs. foreign language) instruction

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Fri Jul 31 17:05:13 EDT 2009

My position is that language learning is language learning, period. I have
responded to comments made here, by you and others, which counter my
position. If that exchange is of no interest then I will desist. But is
seems that you have remained quite active on this subject.

As to your questions;

Many of our learners are immigrants to English speaking countries or other
countries, and their needs are no different from those of other learners.
They want to improve in the language they are learning. I have no knowledge
of EFF but suspect it is just another bureaucratic distraction from the task
of language learning.

Our learners do what they want, and most of them do it free of charge. They
select what to listen to, and read, and which words and phrases to learn.
They speak with our tutors and submit writing for correction and communicate
with other members of the community on a host of issues surrounding language
and living in the language of their choice. They make sure they meet their
needs and the can consult with tutors and other members about their needs.

I do not normally pry as to outcomes but have heard from quite a few
individuals, including immigrants who were frustrated at government funded
ESL schools and after a few months with us felt more confident in English
and finally felt that they were improving., One told me that he went on to a
college and found a good job.