[EnglishLanguage 4583] research on teaching pronunciation

Paul Rogers

pumarosa21 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 10:38:41 EDT 2009

The main point that I had intended to make by sending the research article was that adult ESL students can learn pronunciation with the method that the article calls "slow exaggeration."
For years I have used this method from the first class on.
In doing so I make sure that I maked a complete fool of myself so that the students will begin to feel more comfortable.
The results?
Students learn to pronounce English fairly well within a month.
Most students tell me that the reason they do not like to speak English is because they feel intimidated. Going shopping or to the post office are good examples.
And when they learn more pronunciation and begin to feel more comfortable, their
confidence increases dramatically.
I have studied, to one degree or another, six languages. And the first thing that I learned was pronunciation, and then conversation.
Anyway, the point is -it is not necessary to wait and wait a year or longer to teach basic communication skills.
Finally, concerning research. Reasearch can  never be "useless". Well, maybe research on how many drops of water it takes to make a spoonfujl may be a little useless.  Steve states:
"there is ample evidence that trying to pronounce a new language right from the beginning is not a good idea."
My questions is - where is this evidence? I would like to see it.

I think it is a good idea to base our opinions on facts and not just on our personal experiences and predjudices. All too often it gets political, which should be another discussion.
To conclude, the article I sent also mentions the use of technology.
My website, PUMAROSA.COM, which is and will remain free, is interactive with my voice.
I and others have observed that the students' "silent period" is shortened after a week or so of using the website.
"Try it, you'll like it".
Paul Rogers
Below is an excerpt fromthe article:
"So researchers are improving the technology that adults tend to use for language learning, to make it more social and possibly tap brain circuitry that tots would use.
Recall that Japanese "L" and "R" difficulty? Kuhl and scientists at Tokyo Denki University and the University of Minnesota helped develop a computer language program that pictures people speaking in "motherese," the slow exaggeration of sounds that parents use with babies.
Japanese college students who'd had little exposure to spoken English underwent 12 sessions listening to exaggerated "Ls" and "Rs" while watching the computerized instructor's face pronounce English words. Brain scans — a hair dryer-looking device called MEG, for magnetoencephalography — that measure millisecond-by-millisecond activity showed the students could better distinguish between those alien English sounds. And they pronounced them better, too, the team reported in the journal NeuroImage."