[EnglishLanguage 4493] Re: Blindness and SLA

Kaizen Program

kaizen at literacyworks.org
Thu Jun 18 08:22:17 EDT 2009

Some excerpts from an article prepared by Sylvie Kashdan and Robby Barnes on
the very important topic of literacy for people who are blind or have low
vision:

Notes on Literacy for New English Learners with Visual Limitations

by Sylvie Kashdan and Robby Barnes

1. The Relevance of Literacy

In the United States today some degree and kind of literacy is important for
all adults, for independence and dignity. Reading and writing play a role in
most everyday tasks--at home, in stores, on the street, using public or
private transportation, and at work. The more reading and writing we can do
on our own, the more independent each of us can be and the more self-respect
we can have. Literacy is also important for becoming more fully informed
about issues and events of importance to us and letting others know what we
think; for the pleasures of reading letters from friends and relatives,
stories, poetry, etc. ... and writing our own.

Literacy is just as important for adults who are visually-impaired or blind
as for anyone else. And it is no more difficult to acquire, given the proper
assistance and support. Moreover, whether or not one is functionally
literate, using either print or braille, plays a large part in one's quality
of life. In today's job market, it strongly affects one's employment
opportunities or lack thereof. Even for those who are not seeking paid
employment, whether or not a person has and utilizes literacy skills plays a
large role in how much self-respect, independence, access, inclusion and
equal treatment that person can experience.

Many immigrants and refugees from countries outside the United States,
Western Europe or Oceania never learned to read and write in their first
language because of poverty and the need to go to work at an early age.
Those who had visual impairments as children or developed them as adults
often suffered from the lack of educational opportunities for students
needing accessible formats, such as large print or braille.

Coming to the United States opens up new opportunities for blind and
visually-impaired immigrants and refugees to acquire functional literacy in
accessible formats, as part of acquiring the new language and beginning to
feel more self-confident, becoming more independent in their everyday lives,
and feeling as if they have greater general control over their futures.

With this in mind, it is vital that all of us--professionals and
volunteers--who are involved in assisting blind and visually-impaired
new-comers prioritize helping them to develop real functional literacy, not
just oral English proficiency.

4. Literacy for New English Learners Using Braille

Not everyone who is legally blind is totally blind. Most legally blind
people have some remaining useful vision. If a new English learner is
totally blind or has no useable vision, then she or he can and should learn
English literacy using Braille. Even older adults can learn braille if they
understand its value and have the motivation and persistence to learn.
However, when the person is partially sighted or legally blind, with some
useable vision, there may be a debate as to whether she or he should learn
literacy with braille or large print. If the person can use large print
without significant eye strain or fatigue, they may want to avoid what they
view as the stigma of using braille and the challenge of learning a new way
of reading and writing.

a. Trends in braille literacy

After World War II and into the mid-1960s, many professionals involved in
the rehabilitation of adults and children who were legally blind with
limited vision encouraged the learning of literacy through braille. Although
figures are difficult to come by, the American Printing House For the Blind
found that in 1963 51 percent of legally blind school children in graded
programs in public and residential schools combined, used Braille as the
primary reading medium, and another 4 percent read both Braille and print.
The APH also report that the percentage of Braille users has dropped
steadily, reaching a low of less than 9 percent in 1993.

A number of studies have found a correlation between braille literacy and
employment among both adults who are totally blind and those with low
vision.

Additionally, consumer (self-advocacy) organizations of blind and
visually-impaired people have expressed concerns about the decline in the
percentage of those who are literate using braille, because of findings
indicating that inadequate literacy skills reduce the ability of blind and
visually-impaired adults to participate on an equal basis in society with
their fully sighted peers.

CITATION: Kashdan, S. & Barnes, R. (2004), Notes on Literacy for New English
Learners with Visual Limitations. Workshop document, Kaizen Program for New
English Learners with Visual Limitations; Seattle, U.S.A.

Copyright © 2004 Kaizen Program for New
English Learners with Visual Limitations

Kaizen Program for New English Learners with Visual Limitations 810-A
Hiawatha Place S., Seattle, WA 98144, U.S.A. phone: (206) 784-5619 email:
kaizen at literacyworks.org

web: http://www.nwlincs.org/kaizen/