[EnglishLanguage 4407] Re: Justifying technology use for students with low proficiency

Betsy Wong

betsywong at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 10:12:06 EDT 2009

Eugenia raises some really good questions that many of us probably have as
we figure out how to integrate technology with ESL instruction.

She writes .

"My current challenge is that a large number of my students don't have or
use e-mail, or even computers at all. My conundrum: should I devote a
significant number of hours in the computer lab next door teaching them the
basics? Or should I promote the free evening computer basics courses at the
local public library? After all, the CASAS doesn't test for computer
skills, so how can I justify it to my supervisor? We've gotta show upgrades
after 40 hours of instruction. OTOH, if the class were skilled in online
basics, we'd be doing lots more in the lab.

. Can you employ technology in the classroom if your ss are not computer
literate - nay, literate in English? I think the Internet is a great
resource for integrated language tasks, if your students are literate, in
all senses. Many of mine simply aren't. Does that mean we can't use
technology in the classroom?"

I'd argue that you can use computers to help your students who are acquiring
literacy. Budgeting a little time to help them with the basics (using a
mouse, scroll bar, etc.) will increase their self-confidence tremendously.
It may also motivate them to go to the public library and use computers
there (if available).

Computer skills will increase their employability (i.e., workforce skills) -
maybe you could "sell it" that way to your supervisor.

Suggestions:

* Try jigzone.com to help your learners get a feel for using the mouse. The
six-piece puzzles give them practice "dragging and dropping."

* Then, use the computers to reinforce basic literacy lessons. For instance,
go to starfall.com for phonics and basic reading practice.

* For listening practice, go to the REEP web site, at:

http://www.reepworld.org/englishpractice/

There are several excellent basic stories that learners can listen to.
Afterward, they have the option of hearing the story again, sentence by
sentence, as they see the words.

* For numeracy practice (such as online flashcards of coins and dollar bills
that you have to count), go to:

http://www.aplusmath.com/Flashcards/index.html

* And don't discount the power of using basic word-processing programs such
as Word. For instance, one student can dictate a short list of related
content-area words to another student, who types them on the computer. Or
student can practice typing important personal ID information, such as name,
address, and phone #.

Hope this helps. Would love to hear other suggestions for integrating
technology and/or using computers with literacy students!

Betsy

Betsy Lindeman Wong

Lead ESL Teacher

Alexandria Adult & Community Education