[EnglishLanguage 4183] Re: Connect with English

Michael A. Gyori

mgyori at mauilanguage.com
Fri Apr 24 16:37:35 EDT 2009

Hi again,

In my first e-mail, I realize I didn't address your question(s), i.e.:

"I can make this work for ME by getting them to smile freely and
frequently, practicing the test method, and forgoing the feedback
check. However, I want them to appreciate the language, culture, and
class. That is, I want to make the course work for THEM. So, how often
do I employ pictures and enactments and how often do I employ reading
and writing."

The question of how much time to allot to any one activity cannot be
answered in the absence of a specific learning context. It's like calling a
Chevy dealer and asking how much a car costs.

I would not worry about how much time you allocate to any one activity, but
rather focus on what appears to work best in a given situation. Your
students are often your best informants! If your students do well, the
bureaucrats and administrators (driven by their own, often mandated,
agendas) might just fade into the limelight (but not always, unfortunately).

Have a good weekend,

Michael

Michael A. Gyori, M.A. TESOL
Owner-Teacher