[EnglishLanguage 3967] Re: past progressive

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Mon Mar 2 20:47:07 EST 2009

This list is similar to the one we use, and which we then graph and track,
see attached. However, we find that the greatest benefit comes from seeing
an incorrect phrase corrected, and then saving a key word in that phrase,
and the phrase itself, for future review. Even when people know the rules,
they keep on making mistakes. The third person singular of the present tense
is a notorious example.

We also find that Wrong Word is by far the most frequent mistake in writing
and speaking, and usually the most damaging. Vocabulary usually trumps
grammar.

I think that is difficult to concentrate on more than one usage issue at a
time. Since we have no way of knowing when a usage pattern will "click in",
and since as Krashen says, this is often immune to the efforts of a teacher,
a focus on lots of content is still the best expenditure of the learner's
time, in my view.

Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com