[EnglishLanguage 3951] Re: past progressive

Steinbacher Mikal

Mikal.Steinbacher at lwtc.edu
Thu Feb 26 12:56:59 EST 2009

Martin,

Here is my two cents worth.

Mikal Steinbacher
Instructor, ABE/ESL/English
Lake Washington Technical College

________________________________

From: englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov on behalf of Martin Senger
Sent: Wed 2/25/2009 11:41 AM
To: The Adult English Language Learners Discussion List
Subject: [EnglishLanguage 3945] Re: past progressive

Pax et bonum! (peace & goodness)

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner to this thread, but I was camping in the great (and snowy) Allegany Mts. Of western NY.

I have found five (5) distinct reasons for using the past progressive, and I would like the list to "tear them apart" as it were:

1) PAST ACT HAPPENING AT SPECIFIC TIME: I was reading a book at 8:00 last night. (I started reading sometime before 8:00 and finished sometime after 8:00).

2) 1ST PAST ACT ALREADY HAPPENING WHEN 2ND PAST ACT BEGINS: I was reading when the lights went out. I teach this one as when another act HAPPENED.

3) 2 SIMULTANEOUS PAST ACTS: I was reading while my wife was watching TV.

4) INTERRUPTED PAST ACT: Last weekend I was cleaning the garage. (I didn't finish because I ran out of time) Here I add some of the clause you have in ( ) when I teach this one, or this would confuse sstudents. (and then it is a lot like # 1.) If you don't add the simple past phrase, then most native English speakers would say "Last weekend, I cleaned the garage."

5) PAST HABITUAL COMPLAINT: He was always coming late to class. And this one needs more information to make sense (at least to me!) This might be used to explain why he got a bad grade, but then, I'd probably suggest the simple past. He failed the class because he always came late to class.

Any suggestions, critiques and criticisms would be greatly welcomed. At least about my grammar.

Ciao!

Martin E. Senger

Adult ESL / Civics Teacher,

G.E.C.A.C. / The R. Benjamin Wiley Learning Center

Erie, Pa.

Co-Director,

ESL Special Interest Group

Pa. Assoc. for Adult Continuing Education (PAACE)