[EnglishLanguage 3879] Re: uses of the past progressive/continuous

Terry Pruett-Said

said at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 8 13:05:10 EST 2009

The past progressive can also be used to set up background or atmosphere in a story. For example: When I boarded my flight, I realized it was not going to be a fun trip. Several people were standing in the aisles. A few children were crying. Another child was standing in the seat next to mine.

The example is from Top 20 Great Grammar for Great Writing by Keith Folse.

Terry Pruett-Said
EAPP coordinator
Macomb Community College