[EnglishLanguage 3631] Re: Working withlearners withlimitedliteracy

Judy Rittenhouse

jrittenhouse at projecteaston.org
Tue Jan 27 13:56:01 EST 2009

Robin Schwartz wrote: "... Elaine Tarone mentioned about theories about
noticing--if we do not actively notice what is wrong (not have it
pointed out, but consciously think about it as needing correction) then
the errors do not change. "

"Noticing" is the start of learning, as Caleb Gattegno described it.
Remembering this truth helps me work with students in a way to make
their learning, not my teaching, the most important factor in play. And
when new tutors hear "all learning starts with noticing," they say,
"A-ha!" and recognize it from their own experience.

Judy Rittenhouse, Tutor Coordinator, ProJeCt of Easton, PA

_____