[EnglishLanguage 4356] Video on present continuous - response to questions

Amber Gallup

agallup at cal.org
Fri May 22 09:35:55 EDT 2009

Hello everyone -

I just watched the short video that Miriam posted (
http://www.mlots.org/vermont/louisgiancola.html
<http://www.mlots.org/vermont/louisgiancola.html> ). It was nice to
see such a happy, active class! In response to the questions that were
posed:

a. What practices in the video do or don't you like? Why?

I liked the natural, friendly, but also energetic way that the teacher
taught the class. He was as engaged as they were, and focused on their
fun as well as their learning. Before the video, he spoke about his
desire that their "affective filters" be low, and I think he was
certainly successful - there were a lot of smiles and some risk-taking
there, even among students who seemed shy.

b. What questions would you like to ask the teacher or
students?

I liked the game and have used something similar in my own classes.
I've heard criticisms of such games before, though, that they are
inauthentic - in that students probably wouldn't make such statements in
real life. For example, it's unlikely a student would really say, "She
is sitting down and standing up". So, perhaps I would like to ask the
teacher how he would respond to that criticism.

c. Were there any surprises? If so, what?

The use of the baseball diamond was really creative! Especially since
students had said that they are interested in learning more about how
baseball works. In this way, they can start to understand the rules and
the terminology, and that content can be reinforced later on when they
go to a baseball game, as the teacher said they would in the video.

d. Do you have any other comments?

I like having video of a classroom to respond to
- it's a fresh way to talk about teaching.