[EnglishLanguage 4686] Re: students speaking freely in English

stephen churchville

schurchville at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:00:06 EDT 2009

Hi
This critical-thinking in language education thread has been a lot of fun to follow, and a couple of thoughts come to mind.

I have taught a lot of subjects and activities over the years and in each case had a level of expertise higher than my students. I knew the subject or sport, was more experienced in it, was able to model and participate on a level higher than the students. I'd be able to win a game (Well, I'd've won a few years back. Now I get awfully tired.) or score higher on a test than my students.

That is not true of critical thinking, where students often have a sharper eye and stronger critical thinking than my own. I don't believe that it is my job as a language teacher to probe and question a student's reasoning ability anymore than to question their religion. My job is to help them express what they think, though, and in many cases being able to explain ones thoughts beliefs is important to them.

"Almost all of these well-educated, female Asian students replied like
this: In English, I am more argumentative. I stand up for my
opinion...I can say what I think. The survey's universe was small and
narrow, though random. The replies were almost uniform, even though the
students were concentrating on English as a language, not a system for
academic or civic discussion.

Something about the way we
conduct ourselves was prompting these students be more contentious when
they spoke English. Is it the air we breathe? The language we speak? I
believe thought follows language, if we leave it up to the learner to
decide."

Hmmm. Henry Adams, Lena Horne, Gertrude Stein, a whole lot of US soldiers who have decided to stay wherever after whichever war, Patricia Highsmith's talented Tom Ripley, the list goes on and on... they all felt freer and better able to express their thoughts and feelings outside of America. I wonder if it is not the language or the air, but being away from home and family.

It's very interesting to follow what others think, though and thanks to everyone who's been contributing.

Stephen
www.lessonwriter.com

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_photos_072009&cat=sports