[EnglishLanguage 3720] Re: Post critical period oral L2 learning of adults w/low L1 litearcy

Tom Zurinskas

truespel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 20:50:46 EST 2009

Cognitive psychologists and brain researchers ran a series of studies of native language oral processing by experimental and control groups of adults, one group literate and the other illiterate in an alphabetic script (where phonemes are represented by visual symbols). They gave them all the same oral tasks, some of them requiring semantic processing (using the meanings of words) and some requiring 'phonological' processing (perceiving and manipulating linguistic segments like phonemes, syllables, and words).

Examples of phonological processing tasks are (1) pseudoword repetition: 'nontey' 'pagle' 'otsparp'

Unfortunately it is too difficult to decode these nonsense words above. The spellings could have many phonetic interpretations. Basically you need to put truespel to work here if you want to check brain processing for reading phonetically. You need to use a phonetically consistent system based on English to get consistent answers.

you might find that the ability to decode a phonetic system is one thing and decoding English traditional spelling is another. In English according to my data the consonants are about 90% consistent but the vowels only 50% when you consider the most common ways of spelling each phoneme. A good phonetic decoder might be a poor tradspel decoder.

see truespel.com