[EnglishLanguage 4795] Re: Critical thinking and the TKquestionnaireabout Americans

Bonnie Odiorne

bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 12 11:06:11 EDT 2009

George,I'm about to be teaching (not for the first time) a reading and (save me!) critical thinking course for an at-risk student bridge program in about 10 days. Would the book you mention be useful for such a course? I give them a brief breakdown of language skills needed for reading, an  ensemble 'reader's theater' activity, a brief intro to reading strategies, some short essays on high-interest (I hope) texts, like buying a paper online and the impact of technology on reading and writing. Their capstone is a presentation of a textbook, where they show the features of the book that enhance reading strategies.
Iif others have suggestions, please chime in. There are often ELLs in the class.
Thanks
Bonnie

ie Odiorne, PhD Director, Writing Center Adjunct Professor of English, French, First Year Transitions, Day Division and ADP
Post University, Waterbury, CT
Labyrinth Facilitator, Spiritual Director
please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to