[EnglishLanguage 4473] Re: EFL/EAL/ESL development worldwide, learner ages, and approaches

Glenda Lynn Rose

glyndalin at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 12:49:14 EDT 2009

I think it's important to note that it is argued that age doesn't make a difference, but there are good arguments on both sides.  As an adult educator, I point out the very things Michael was talking about to my adult learners to encourage them.  However there are studies, for example Pallier et al 2003 which imply the plasticity of the brain may make it easier for children to learn a second language better than an adult, in this study, to the point of completely replacing the first language.

My personal area of research has to do with identity and language, and naturally adults have much a more fixed sense of who they are, which can also play into the difference in how/how fast/how well people learn.

Age  is a factor and it may be a mediating factor for other predictors, but it certainly is not the only factor, or an insurmountable one.

Grace and Peace!
Glenda Lynn Rose, PhD

ESL Instructor
Austin Learning Academy