[EnglishLanguage 4418] Re: [Technology 2056] Re: teachers as language learners

Eugenia Fitzgerald

eugenia.fitzgerald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:49:53 EDT 2009

To my knowledge, the term "audio-lingualism" has only ever been used among
linguists. Yes, it is based on behaviorist theory, in keeping with the
thought of the day. We now recognize that language learning is not so
simple as memorizing the right phrases. In addition, the dialogs used in
such listening activities are contrived by linguists, not by people in real
time, and they have very few of the features of real conversation. This has
all been documented in the literature.

Yet, the method still persists. Many language learning materials are
behavioristic in nature. Many computer language programs are
stimulus-response, form driven, right/wrong. How many times do you ask
students to "listen and repeat?" Substitution drills, etc. Do these not
have the same things in common: a focus on form, decontextualization, and
just plain phoniness? (Who talks that way anyway?)

I prefer instead to teach students the *skill* of *focused listening* -
listening for the LOUD words - the information words - and THEN

Have the students talk to each other - solve a problem together - using the
information from the listening.

As for what they produce linguistically, if they solved the problem together
in English, then as far as I am concerned, their communication is fine.

Kudos to you, Wanda, for using authentic listening materials!!

Eugenia