[EnglishLanguage 4310] Re: Using group games to teach thepresentcontinuous

Glenda Lynn Rose

glyndalin at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 17:52:15 EDT 2009

I don't teach "be going to" with present continuous.  I teach it with future.  It's not necessarily a near future issue.  "I'm going to go to China."     It implies a definite plan, not sure when, but clearly future.  When I teach future "be going to" with the reduced pronunciation, I do point out that reduction cannot be made when "be going to" is used for present tense destinations (i.e, I'm going to the store) because there is not another meaning carrying verb (although not necessarily in those terms :-))

Grace and Peace!
Glenda Lynn Rose, PhD

ESL Instructor
Austin Learning Academy